Everyone who <worked on the paper> was....

< Previous | Next >

prudent260

Chinese
From 'On Writing Well' in chapter 21 by William Zinsser:
I wanted to be a newspaperman, and the newspaper I wanted to be a man on was the New York Herald Tribune. Reading it everymorning, I loved the sense of enjoyment it conveyed. Everyone who worked on the paper--- editors, writers, photographers, make-up men---was having a wonderful time.

Work at, in, for, on....
I work on/at/for Metro.
work for or work on
work vs work on
working on / working for

I thought it was more idiomatic to say, 'I work for a newspaer,' as the example in the Longman dictionary.
From Longman: He works for a local newspaper. (newspaper | meaning of newspaper in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE)

I dug into previous threads on this topic and could't find an answer.
Is there any reason the author chose 'work on the paper?'

Thank you.

• grassy

Polish
    "Working on the paper" here means "creating the paper".
    If you used "for", it would mean that all those people were hired by the New York Herald Tribune.

prudent260

Chinese
    "Working on the paper" here means "creating the paper".
    If you used "for", it would mean that all those people were hired by the New York Herald Tribune.
    :idea::idea::idea:

I have read your response so many times and couldn't understand it:
    1. The author was not talking about the company but each issue of the newspaper.
    2. The author focused on those people who made each issue of the paper (editors, writers, photographers, make-up men), not salesmen and delivery personnel hired by the New York Herald Tribune.

May I know which one do you mean? Or are both of them wrong? :p

Thank you.

lingobingo

English - England
    It’s standard practice to describe reporters and journalists as working ON a particular newspaper or magazine/journal. But other people employed by the same organisation would probably not be described the same way, e.g. My cousin works FOR the Daily Bugle, as a secretary/receptionist, selling advertising, in the circulation department, or whatever.

prudent260

Chinese
    It’s standard practice to describe reporters and journalists as working ON a particular newspaper or magazine/journal. But other people employed by the same organisation would probably not be described the same way, e.g. My cousin works FOR the Daily Bugle, as a secretary/receptionist, selling advertising, in the circulation department, or whatever.
    Thank you. :):idea:

< Previous | Next >