everything counts in large amounts

Fredziu

Polish
Hello everyone,

Could someone explain what the expression "everything counts in large amounts" means?

It's taken from this song.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please provide some context. You may quote up to four lines of lyrics.

Source:
    "Everything Counts," by Martin Gore (Depeche Mode)

Fredziu

Polish
    "The grabbing hands grab all they can
    All for themselves after all
    It's a competitive world
    Everything counts in large amounts"

Fredziu

Polish
    Thank you for your explanation, Egmont, but I'm still not sure I understand. Could you explain it more literally? For example the verb 'counts' - does it mean something like 'matters', 'is important' in this context?

Loob

English UK
    It's a song lyric: it doesn't have to be meaningful, Fredziu.

The more I try to think what "Everything counts in large amounts" means, the less sense it makes...:(

Fredziu

Polish
    The more I try to think what "Everything counts in large amounts" means, the less sense it makes...:(
    Oh, I see. So it's like with poetry, where you can only try to guess what the author meant, right?
    But leaving aside what the songwriter actually meant by this sentence, is it possible to paraphrase it somehow?

I think it might mean something like "in today's world where everyone is competitively (and selfishly) grabbing onto anything they can get, there's no such thing anymore as a small amount of anything. :rolleyes:

(People won't just steal one toothpick, they'll take 100)

Yes, I suppose I would take "counts" to mean matters.

Again, it's not clear at all what the intention was, but "counts/amounts" at least rhyme. :)

Skaviator

Polski
    I think it means that it you have 1$ it's Small amount of money, and if you have 1000$ it's better for you but it you have 1 000 000 $ then it really counts :)

< Previous | Next >