everything essential "to understanding" what it is really

ferass

ENGLISH-ARABIC
Is it correct to say to understanding like in this sentence: This is a definition that reduces history to its lowest terms and yet includes everything that is essential to understanding what it is really? If so, Is this sentence true?

• Copyright

American English
    This sounds basically fine, although I'm not enthralled with "lowest terms." Here are a couple of alternatives:

This is a definition that reduces history to its simplest form and yet includes everything that is essential to understanding what it really is.

This is the simplest definition of history that still includes everything essential to understanding what it really is.

ferass

ENGLISH-ARABIC
    so to understanding is correct. But I know that after to I can't put ing and I must put an infinitive. So you think really's order is wrong

Copyright

American English
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question, but I've used much of your sentence structure and I have "essential to understanding." Perhaps you can clarify.

Last edited:

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes you can put 'to' before a Verb+ing word, because it is a participle form being used as noun, which is called a gerund. In this case, 'understanding' is also the noun formed from the verb 'to understand'. 'To' is being used as a preposition, not as part of the infinitive

Many verbs have noun forms ending in -ing.

This course aims to give beginners a better understanding of the possibilities of Photoshop.

Yes, 'really' was in the wrong place in your sentence.

:)
    Hermione