Everything happens for a reason

< Previous | Next >

Sloopy

English United States of America
Hi! I was wondering how to say "Everything happens for a reason" as in destiny/fate. I appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks so much!

• You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hi Sloopy. Welcome to the forum! :)

I think you can say, C'è una ragione per ogni cosa che ci succede but it's probably a good idea to wait for an Italian to confirm that. (most of them are asleep at present) They may even have some more colloquial ways of saying it.

Sloopy

English United States of America
    Thanks Charles Costante! Yes, I will wait for a confirmation on that... but I really appreciate your input! :)

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    Charles already made a correct translation,
    I love concise phrases, therefore I add:"Nulla accade senza ragione"
    As curiosity, Seneca correct this concept so: NUlla sine ratione faciendum est. =Nothing must be performed without reason.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Juri said:
    Charles already made a correct translation,
    I love concise phrases, therefore I add:"Nulla accade senza ragione"
    As curiosity, Seneca correct this concept so: NUlla sine ratione faciendum est. =Nothing must be performed without reason.
    Thanks for the confirmation Juri. Your version is definitely better as an idiom. :)

Schrodinger's_Cat

American English
    I would like to translate: Everything that happened, was meant to happen. Everything happens for a reason!

Could I say:

Tutto che accadeva (o acadde) doveva succedere. Tutto ha un motivo!

jackied313

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking to get the translation of "everything happens for a reason". I have recieved this from someone:"Tutto cio accade per un motivo" but have seen many other versions. I guess I am wondering how Italians would say it beacuse I was told that they would probably say "nothing happens for no reason" instead of everything happens for a reason. I am looking to get a tattoo of this so was hoping to get the correct form and saying. If someone can read Italian I want them to see it and for it make sense. Thank you so much!! :D

underhouse

Italian
    As soon as I read your post I thought of

C'è una ragione a tutto.

but I don't know if it's good enough for a tattoo.

Perhaps

Nulla accade per caso

sounds more "poetic".

If something else comes to mind, I will tell you.

Also, wait for other suggestions....

jackied313

As soon as I read your post I thought of

C'è una ragione a tutto.

but I don't know if it's good enough for a tattoo.

Perhaps

Nulla accade per caso

sounds more "poetic".

If something else comes to mind, I will tell you.

Also, wait for other suggestions....

OO thank you! Can you tell me what those two would read as or translate to exactly. Thanks!

underhouse

Italian
    OO thank you! Can you tell me what those two would read as or translate to exactly. Thanks!
    C'è una ragione a tutto --> There is a reason for everything

Nulla accade per caso --> Nothing happens by chance/accident.

I guess they sound strange since they are basically translations word by word.

jackied313

C'è una ragione a tutto --> There is a reason for everything

Nulla accade per caso --> Nothing happens by chance/accident.

I guess they sound strange since they are basically translations word by word.
    As long as if in Italian it is worded right, that is what I was concerned with, but I obviously wanted to know what it is in English for reference. Thanks for your input, this is helping a lot and giving me different ideas!

Curandera

Italian
    I'd say as underhouse suggested:

'Nulla accade per caso'.
    'Nulla succede per caso'.

The meaning is 'there's always a reason for things to happen' = Everything happens for a reason!

jackied313

I'd say as underhouse suggested:

'Nulla accade per caso'.
    'Nulla succede per caso'.

The meaning is 'there's always a reason for things to happen' = Everything happens for a reason!
    Thanks, i really like these two!
    What is the difference between accade and succede, do you use a certain one depending on the context of the sentence or are they interchangible? Thanks for all the help and understanding!

Akire72

Italian - Italy
    Succede is more colloquial/informal. Or rather it can be used in all instances. While accade is a little bit more formal, more for the written language. They mean the same. It's just style.

jackied313

I think I am leaning towards the "Nulla succede per caso". Seems like most replys liked it as well. I will keep you guys updated and anymore suggestions are welcome. Maybe I will get to post a picture of the tattoo when I get it done. Thank you everyone for your help!! I really appreciate it.

Curandera

Italian
    Hi Jackied313,

There's a book by Robert H. Hopcke that has been translated into Italian and it is titled 'Nulla succede per caso'. I'd go for this solution too!

It sounds straightforward and effective to me.

jackied313

Hey Everyone,
    Just wanted to show everyone the tatto I got. Thank you for all your help, I am really pleased with the responses I got and really appreciate it!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >