everything is for everybody

Peter SLP

Polish
Dear all,

I am not sure if this phrase exists. I mean that almost everything can be used by anyone but in moderation.

"You can drink alcohol. Everything is for everybody. You just have to use it wisely and in moderation."

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s certainly not a set phrase, if that’s what you mean? But there’s no reason why you shouldn’t say it. It’s perfectly understandable (if a rather sweeping statement! :D).

Peter SLP

Polish
    It’s certainly not a set phrase, if that’s what you mean? But there’s no reason why you shouldn’t say it. It’s perfectly understandable (if a rather sweeping statement! :D).
    I know it is not a set phrase and I would like to know what native speakers would say in such a situation.

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    To replace the underlined sentence in your OP, the closest idiomatic phrase that I can think of which might fit this situation is "it's a free world" (This is a set phrase sometimes used in such situations, even though this is certainly not a free world for many people! :))

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t think English has a direct equivalent of the OP phrase.

And I’ve never known “it’s a free world” to be a set phrase. But “it’s a free country” is, or was (It's a Free Country | Lexico), and that could be used in the given context: “You can do whatever you like – it’s a free country!”

Peter SLP

Polish
    There some suggestions of my friends who are linguists:
    You deserve everything you wish for; people deserve whatever they want
    everything in moderation
    Enjoy the pleasures of life, but in moderation.//
    Eat, drink and be merry – but in moderation.
    that's what's there for!

lingobingo

English - England
    Only two of those are set phrases: Eat, drink and be merry and Everything in moderation.
    …I would like to know what native speakers would say in such a situation.
    It’s not clear what situation you mean. Are you talking about the health aspects of drinking alcohol, or the legal aspects, the social aspects, or what?

Another expression in the UK (probably not used in AE) is They can’t touch you for it, meaning, in a jokey way, that something is not illegal, so you won’t get arrested if you do it. But it doesn’t really fit the scenario of drinking (for which they can touch you!).

Peter SLP

Polish
    Only two of those are set phrases: Eat, drink and be merry and Everything in moderation.

It’s not clear what situation you mean. Are you talking about the health aspects of drinking alcohol, or the legal aspects, the social aspects, or what?

Another expression in the UK (probably not used in AE) is They can’t touch you for it, meaning, in a jokey way, that something is not illegal, so you won’t get arrested if you do it. But it doesn’t really fit the scenario of drinking (for which they can touch you!).
    I mean it in general-- drinking alcohol, watching TV, partying...

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    OK, so we've gone from alcohol in your OP to pretty much everything now. I'm reminded of the set phrase "let it all hang out".

< Previous | Next >