Everything was perfectly swell.

Wadad

Français France
<<Topic sentence: Everything was perfectly swell. >>

What does swell mean in this context?
English isn't my native language, and I don't find a correct meaning on this dictionnary.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wadad

Français France
    Ok, thank you.
    I wasn't sure, and if it haven't been used for decades, it explain why it's not in this dictionnary...
    I'm reading a short story writed in the 60's. It's probably why the language is a little different. We haven't this problem in french, or only for the really old documents!

JamesM

Ok, thank you.
    I wasn't sure, and if it haven't been used for decades, it explain why it's not in this dictionnary...
    Which dictionary are you talking about? It's in the WordReference dictionary entry for swell:

▶adjective
    N. Amer. informal, dated
    1 excellent; very good.
    2 archaic smart; fashionable.

Perhaps you didn't read down far enough to see its definition as an adjective.

Wadad

Français France
    Oh, I'm talking about the french-english dictionnary. I don't look in the english one. Next time I know what I've to do. :) (I'm also on an Iphone aPplication, perhaps all the meaning are not here, but on the site.

JamesM

Hmmm... if you click on swell here and scroll down do you see the adjective description I posted above? It would help to know if the iPhone app doesn't show the same entries as the web pages. Can you check, please, and let us know? Thanks. (I don't have an iPhone.)

Wadad

Français France
    I'm really sorry but my Ipod crashed today, I can't do anything with it. I'm pretty sure that the definition wasn't on the Iphone/Ipod application in the french-english dictionnary. I can't tell you about the english one. Sorry again.

< Previous | Next >