Evidenced of the hostility that we feel

< Previous | Next >

FrenchymcB

French - France
Hi everyone,

I have to translate this but I am struggling with the underlined sentence. I understand all the words but I just don't get the structure. I was wondering if a native English speaker could perhaps rephrase it to make slightly more logical connections between the sentences, if that makes sense?

Context : this was heard in a reality show. In a small town in the wilderness, one local (Neil) is starting to develop the town to attract tourists and all the other residents, who are against it, called a meeting to discuss the problems and try to stop him. During the meeting, Neil basically said that he didn't give a damn and he was going to go ahead with his plans.
After the meeting, one resident says :

"I’ve never been at a meeting that was quite that... out of control. Evidenced of the hostility that we feel towards these actions of Neil’s, and the level of his defensiveness. Especially when you’re asking your neighbours to deal with the consequences. It’s a greed just beyond belief. It’s disgusting and wrong. Quite frankly, it’s just absurd."

Thanks!

• FrenchymcB

French - France
    I also thought I may have misheard but I listened to it over and over again and it really sounds like this is what he's saying. I wish I could share the clip with you but the scene was cut off the videos I found on streaming websites.

But let's assume I misheard and he says "Evidence of" :
    "[The meeting was] A sign of / an example of / proof of the hostility we feel..."
    I don't really see how this makes sense :/ "The meeting was out of control. It was a proof of the hostility we feel and of his defensiveness, especially when you’re asking your neighbours to deal with the consequences." :confused:
    Is there any way we could link these sentences in a logical way?

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Yes, it's logical to me. (to the extent that unscripted, emotional speech can be logical)
    This resident is saying that the meeting showed how much the residents are hostile to Neil's plan, and of his defensiveness.

Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    I think the speaker meant to say

evidenced by the . .

Whether that's good English is another matter.

FrenchymcB

French - France
    Yes, it's logical to me. (to the extent that unscripted, emotional speech can be logical)
    Yeah, this is why reality shows are so much more annoying to translate than fiction...

This resident is saying that the meeting showed how much the residents are hostile to Neil's plan, and of his defensiveness.
    Ok, so : The meeting was out of control. It showed how much the residents are hostile to Neil's plan, and of his defensiveness. Especially when you’re asking your neighbours to deal with the consequences.
    The link between the first two sentences sounds better to me now, so thank you ! But the link with the third sentence is just weird, it feels like there is something missing. But I guess he means something along the lines of : I can't believe Neil is so defensive considering he's asking us to deal with the consequences of his actions. Or : He shouldn't be so defensive considering he's asking us to deal with the consequences of his actions.

< Previous | Next >