Exacerbate these fights

farhad_persona

Farsi
Hello

Does this make sense to you?

Due to their troubled past, the members of these two villages regularly fight and now disagreements over a water canal exacerbates these fights.

Does 'exacerbate' go with fight (when it's used as a noun)?

If exacerbate does not work, what shall I use?

I want to suggest disagreements over a water canal has intensified battles between two villages.

• sdgraham

USA English
    Yes, "exacerbate" is correct.

The problem is that it's not a common word among all English speakers (outside this forum).

Since language is a means of communication, I suggest you choose a different word. "Intensify" works.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    Can I say this? :

This is a battle over a water canal and historic differences between the two villages exacerbates/aggravates it.

Can I use 'exacerbate' in that sense?

farhad_persona

Farsi
    Sorry to bump this up but I also thought about this:

The battle over the water canal is intensified by the historic differences between the two villages.

Is 'intensified by' correct?

Please offer your opinion.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Due to their troubled past, the members of these two villages regularly fight and now disagreements over a water canal exacerbates these fights.
    Disagreements exacerbate.

This is a battle over a water canal and historic differences between the two villages exacerbates/aggravates it.
    Differences exacerbate.

The battle over the water canal is intensified by the historic differences between the two villages.

Is 'intensified by' correct?
    Yes. This version is much better than your first two.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    No, but it is the first choice.
    I looked at my Thesaurus Dictionary and did not find verbs that smoothly go with 'fight' or 'battle'.
    Can you please tell me what other verbs are there that might work in this context.

P.S: I'm still looking for the right verb. See, my sentence is such that I have to use a verb twice and I prefer not to use 'intensify' twice.
    Please do not close this thread.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This is a battle over a water canal and the historic differences between the two villages aggravates it. I thought this was good. I take it that the battle is figurative rather than a full-scale battle.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    This is a battle over a water canal and the historic differences between the two villages aggravates it. I thought this was good. I take it that the battle is figurative rather than a full-scale battle.
    No, by battle, I don't mean a full-scale war. What I mean is a sort of an ongoing, bitter competition.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    One last question. Which one is grammatically correct? :

or

The battle over the water canal intensifies by the historic differences between the two villages.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes, all transitive verb can appear in the passive. "The battle over the water canal is intensified by the historic differences between the two villages." is the correct version.

< Previous | Next >