Exact revenge

< Previous | Next >

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
Hello to all the members

I'm reading a write-up about common errors in English usage.

I came across this phrase; "exact revenge" but I don't find online any website which explains the meaning of it.

Could someone help me please to understand it clearer?

Thank you all a lot

• ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    I know what exact is. I don't need an explanation for this one.
    Does it mean a strict revenge or a specific revenge?

That is the part that bothers me here, the very meaning of exact in this context. Unfortunately, I can't provide any example, the idiom was written with no instance.

Help please, somehow, someone, despite the difficulty it's presenting? Thanks again

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    As srk suggested, you need the definition of 'exact' as a verb.

If you have no examples of the use of 'exact revenge', follow the instructions here:
    Finding Examples in Context
    It will provide example sentences from current news stories. Possibly seeing these examples will answer your question. If you need help understanding one of them, you can ask about it here. If you decide to do this, don't forget to name the source.

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Does it mean a strict revenge or a specific revenge?
    You say you know what "exact" means, but we're trying to tell you it's a verb here. It isn't an adjective meaning "strict" or "specific." Follow the link srk gave you.

sdgraham

USA English
    Obviously, you do

vb (transitive)
    • to force or compel (payment or performance); extort: to exact tribute
    • to demand as a right; insist upon: to exact respect from one's employees
    • to call for or require: this work exacts careful effort
    Help please, somehow, someone, despite the difficulty it's presenting? Thanks again
    Florentia and srk, both competent forum members, tried to help, but ....

Last edited:

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    I lost somehow sight of the verb addition.
    I found an example offered online; "They would not rest until they had exacted revenge."
    So it means to require revenge, to demand revenge.
    Thank you each and every one who helped me out.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I think that more often than not it means to obtain revenge. Certainly, in the example that you have given, that is what it means.

They would not rest until they had had their revenge.

sdgraham

USA English
    I'm reading a write-up about common errors in English usage.

I came across this phrase; "exact revenge" but I don't find online any website which explains the meaning of it.
    Are you saying that the expression "exact revenge" is commonly misused, according the report you were reading?

I think that more often than not it means to obtain revenge.
    The American Heritage dictionary, i.e. freedictionary.com provides a definition broader than that of the WRD and more in line with Beryl's post (with which I agree)

tr.v. ex·act·ed, ex·act·ing, ex·acts1. To force the payment or yielding of; extort: exact tribute from a conquered people.
    2. To demand and obtain by or as if by force or authority: a harsh leader who exacts obedience. See Synonyms at demand.

ShakespeareLass

Hebrew
    I READ that it's very common between Americans to misuse the original and correct expression "exact revenge" and turn it into "extract revenge."

That's all.

JamesM

It's the first I've heard of it. :) I've heard lots of mistakes but I wouldn't call this one common, at least in my experience. The Corpus of Contemporary American English, which includes transcripts of television shows among its resources, shows only 3 occurrences of "extract revenge" compared to 59 for "exact revenge". I would think something like "heart-rendering" for "heart-rending" would be a far more common mistake among AE speakers.

< Previous | Next >