exactly that

tcom

Japanese
Hello.
I was reading CD review and found a question.
http://www.naxos.com/reviews/reviewslist.asp?catalogueid=8.570505&languageid=EN

‘Great Movie Themes’ gives you exactly that, with fourteen tracks that go no further - with two exceptions - than a statement of the main theme to many highly popular movies from recent years. The two exceptions, on the face of it, are the suites taken from The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and the Sorcer’s Stone, though the latter runs for less than five minutes.

How does 'that' work in this sentence?

Thanks.

• suzi br

English / England
    I assume I would need a couple of sentences from before this section in order to know what THAT is referring to here.

suzi br

English / England
    Then it means CDs with that title give you great movie themes! :D

Reading what follows on .... the point seems to be about the brevity of the tracks, themes rather than fully developed suites

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    In that case at least I would assume "that" refers to the title of the CD; "Great Movie Themes". In other words it could be written "'Great Movie Themes' gives you great movie themes, with..." though it obviously sounds awkward or redundant.

PS: cross post, sorry.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    ‘Great Movie Themes’ gives you exactly that, = [The CD called] ‘Great Movie Themes’ gives you exactly great movie themes' [i.e. the themes of great movies], That is a pronoun. That thing; whatever I have just said/written.

tcom

Japanese
    Thank you for your replies!
    Can't I say "‘Great Movie Themes’ gives you exactly those, ..."?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Thank you for your replies!
    Can't I say "‘Great Movie Themes’ gives you exactly those, ..."?
    I think "Great Movie Themes" is probably a single item in this case, even though it's counter-intuitive. I would look at it as being a category of movie themes and I would think that makes "that" more suitable than "those".

< Previous | Next >