examination / exam

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,

What is the difference between an examination and an exam? My grammar books says we should use "an exam" not "an examination" when referring to a college entrance exam or something given to students.
Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

• Bryan05

Español peruano ribereño
    Exam is the abbreviation word for "examination". Everybody says "exam"... Use this word naturally. I suppose that an examination can be a formal, but very formal word. As we always take exams in schools nobody uses that so formal word (examination).

¿Did I tell this paragraph well?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello everyone,

What is the difference between an examination and an exam? My grammar books says we should use "an exam" not "an examination" when referring to a college entrance exam or something given to students.
    Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
    To the best of my knowledge, "exam" is simply the short form of "examination". I've never heard that they mean two different things. If I go for a checkup, my doctor gives me a physical examination or a physical exam. If write an "exam", I'm writing an "examination". Does your grammar book say what the difference is, Akasaka?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    It says "an exam" is for students, and you don't use an exmination for students' test.
    Frankly, Akasaka, I think that the use of the word "exam" as an abbreviation for "examination" has just become so common that your book is slightly misguided. If you go back in time to as little as 20 or 30 years ago, school publications always referred to "examinations".

Akasaka

Japanese
    Frankly, Akasaka, I think that the use of the word "exam" as an abbreviation for "examination" has just become so common that your book is slightly misguided. If you go back in time to as little as 20 or 30 years ago, school publications always referred to "examinations".
    Thanks, Dimcl. In fact, I found some mistakes in this grammar book, so I'm afraid this statement is also another one.

< Previous | Next >