examined the nakedness side by side of those little tubers

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

I would be grateful if you help me on the red sentence?

" Arms they measured and legs. Catching sight of her foot-"
" Let me see,"
He took off his own shoe and then the threadbare sick of which he immediately felt ashamed and which he bundled into his pocket. they examined the nakedness side by side of those little tubers in the semi dark."

I should explain that here two new lovers sitting alone in the semi dark tries to measure, and compare parts of their body: hands, legs, feet. In fact it's a primitive kind of lovemaking. It's first time that they're alone, and talk friendly about personal things.

I guess it means by putting their feet side by side, they tested or experienced for the first time the favor of nakedness. What's your idea?

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Dessay.

Best Regards and lots of thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I would guess "little tubers" refers to toes:

tuber (part of plant), short, thickened, mostly underground stem that constitutes the resting stage of certain seed plants. [Enc. Britannia]

Some tubers are somewhat toe like; white radish tubers for example.

They were examining their toes.

(I'm not sure in what way this thread differs from your other one regarding toes. If you asking for literary analysis, then I'm afraid that would likely go beyond the scope of the forum.)

Last edited:

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Thank you for your help. But my question in this thread is about the meaning of the whole sentence, not about the tuber. As I got my answer in previous thread.
    I want your idea about this:
    they examined the nakedness side by side of those little tubers{or toes} in the semi dark.

Can it be that: by putting their feet side by side, they tested or experienced for the first time the favor of nakedness?

Your help is appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >