exasperation and irritation had got hold of her <lower body>

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 108, Chapter 7) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:There were some people in Wragby, talking and talking , about spirit and body. After they went, Connie felt.……)

Then, when all the people went, it was no better. She continued plodding on, but exasperation and irritation had got hold of her lower body, she couldn’t escape. The days seemed to grind by, with curious painfulness, yet nothing happened. Only she was getting thinner; even the housekeeper noticed it, and asked her about herself.

I feel lower body just refers to her legs, rather than her genitals, but in that case, maybe Lawrence would have used legs instead of lower body. So I'm confused now.

Could you tell me how to understand it please?
Thank you in advance

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think 'lower body' refers refers to her body, that is, her torso below the diaphragm, or waist, if you like. Of course that includes the genitals as well as other organs which seem to have have had particular significance for Lawrence, such as the 'guts'.

The general idea is that Connie is becoming more aware of her real physical needs, such as sex, as opposed to her intellectual needs.

You might recall his whacky theories, which surely were mentioned when we went through this the first time? I'm sorry if my memory isn't correct.

< Previous | Next >