Excelled (meaning surpass)

< Previous | Next >

huskydog

English - Great Britain
I am slightly at odds with whether "excelled" can also mean to surpass something? What I was attempting to say was that although my absence from 'femdom' has gone unlamented, she and her studio are missed passionately. Can someone tell me if I succeeded in achieving that goal?

Many Thanks

I still miss you and Home Studio passionately. I relished visiting there so much, and although, on the whole, 'femdom' has largely gone unlamented, yours was a place that held an appeal which excelled the fetish itself.

Last edited:
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Transitive "excel" sounds a little odd to me, but is evidently correct.
    Is there any reason to avoid using "surpassed"?

(M-W = Merriam-Webster ... just in case. )

huskydog

English - Great Britain
    Hi Panjandrum. The reason is that the letter has already been sent. Indeed, since then I have thought that either "supassed" or perhaps better still "transcended" might've been more suitable choices, however i'm well chuffed that "excelled" fits the bill.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I'd have suggested using surpassed. While "excel" can be either transitive or intransitive, in my experience it's far more often used as an intransitive and sounds strange to me especially in the noncompetitive sense in which you've used the transitive.

huskydog

English - Great Britain
    Cheers sdGraham.

The consensus seems to be that "excelled" sounds rather awquard in this context, and no doubt "exceeded" would've been by far the preferable (preferred?) choice, however those guys at Merriam Webster suggest i'm correct and that's enough for me.

What does WRD mean please?

sdgraham

USA English
    Cheers sdGraham.

The consensus seems to be that "excelled" sounds rather awquard in this context, and no doubt "exceeded" would've been by far the preferable (preferred?) choice, however those guys at Merriam Webster suggest i'm correct and that's enough for me.

What does WRD mean please?
    WRD is "Word Reference Dictionary" and is the dictionary accessible through the box at the top of this page.

< Previous | Next >