(except / apart from) football

Hi,

Are "except (for)" and "apart from" synonyms in general and in the following dialogs in particular:

1. - What sports do you like except football?
- I like all sports except football.

2. - What sports do you like apart from football?
- I like all sports apart from football.

Are there any differences in meaning, mood or register between these dialogs?

• EStjarn

Spanish
    Are "except (for)" and "apart from" synonyms in general and in the following dialogs in particular...
    I would call 'except (for)' and 'apart from' synonyms, yes. (As you can see for yourself, so does Collins Online Thesaurus.)
    Are there any differences in meaning, mood or register between these dialogs?
    Both your question-answer examples can be paraphrased as:

Q: You like football. What other sports do you like? A: I don't like football. But I like all other sports.

I don't see there's any difference in meaning between the phrases. As for register, I'm not sure. Because I tend to use 'apart from' in the sense of 'in addition to' I would personally not naturally say: I like all sports apart from football. Instead I would use 'except': I like all sports except football.

(I have no idea what you mean by 'mood'.)

Last edited:

dn88

Polish
    To me, "What sports do you like except football?" sounds as if the questioner were presuming that the other person didn't like football (based on no prior information), or perhaps implying: "I want to know what sports you like, but don't you dare mention football". I may be just imagining this, though.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    To me, "What sports do you like except football?" sounds as if the questioner were presuming that the other person didn't like football (based on no prior information), or perhaps implying: "I want to know what sports you like, but don't you dare mention football". I may be just imagining this, though.
    To me, it's completely the other way around. The sentence "What sports do you like besides/other than/apart from/except football?" presumes that the answerer does like football. (That's why the answer "I like all sports except football" => "I don't like football" doesn't make sense, as EStjarn pointed out.)

With context, your interpretation could be correct.

Myridon

English - US
    To me, it's completely the other way around. The sentence "What sports do you like besides/other than/apart from/except football?" presumes that the answerer does like football. (That's why the answer "I like all sports except football" => "I don't like football" doesn't make sense, as EStjarn pointed out.).
    That's what all those questions mean except for the one with "except" which (agreeing with others) just sounds horribly wrong to me.