Except/ except for/ apart from

< Previous | Next >

Super Dollfie

some language other, some place far away
Hello everyone :)
How do you say these sentences:

1) Except/ except for/ apart from me, everyone in the shop was Japanese.
2) I did most of the work, except/ except for/ apart from one section which I did not understand.

I can read all the kana and 300 kanji, but I cannot type these (take too long). But, I appreciate that you will do this, please. Thanks!

• Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    1) Except/ except for/ apart from me, everyone in the shop was Japanese.
    店にいた人は、私以外(私を除いて)、皆日本人だった。
    mise-ni ita hito-wa, watashi igai (watashi-o nozoite), mina Nihonjin datta.
    People who were in the shop, excepting me (a part from me), were all Japanese.

2) I did most of the work, except/ except for/ apart from one section which I did not understand.

English may okay "most of A, excepting B" (influence by anticipation) but it is awkward in Japanese. Also, I feel a prepositional phrase where a relative clause is the object is too top-heavy in Japanese ("except for one section which I did not understand"). Suborinate clause seems more natural.

分からなかったところが一箇所あった以外は、全てできました。
    wakaranakatta tokoro-ga ikkasho atta igai-wa, subete dekimashita.
    Apart from the fact that there was one place I did not understand, I could do all [the work].

The original "work" and "section" are somewhat vague. I translated as generally as possible I am afraid 一箇所 came out as a smaller part than a section usually is.

cheshire

Japanese
    As Flam says, this is awkward to say or write;

(3) わからなかった一ヶ所以外は全部できました。

It's grammatically OK, but not what you'll always hear. However, you'll find a lot of it in academic journals.

English may okay "most of A, excepting B" (influence by anticipation) but it is awkward in Japanese.
    I disagree. It's all right to replace 全て with ほとんど in your sentence.

etudian

Japanese, Japan
    I would say

2) 大方(or 大体)できましたが、分からなかったところが一箇所ありました。

A version closer to Flaminius's suggestion that sounds more natural to me would be

2) 分からなかったところが一箇所ありましたが、それ以外は大方できました。

(How to translate "section" is another issue.)

< Previous | Next >