except for him to support Dolly as her father

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

She doesn’t want anything from Alex except for him to support Dolly as her father.
(From Closer, from the article 'Chantelle: A weight's been lifted since I split with Alex' http://www.closeronline.co.uk/Showb...s-been-lifted-since-split-with-alex-reid.aspx
I guess that the meaning of the text in bold is except that she wants him to support Dolly as her father.

The whole sentence would be: She doesn’t want anything from Alex except that she wants him to support Dolly as her father.
She doesn’t want anything from Alex except for him to support Dolly as her father.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I can't see a question in your OP, Baltic.

It looks like Chantelle wants Alex to be a father to Dolly - she wants him to fulfil his parental role. She wants nothing more from him.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    Thank you. Does except for him to support Dolly as her father mean except that she wants him to support Dolly as her father?

Loob

English UK
    Hi Baltic Sea

I think the easiest way to explain the construction of the original sentence is to translate it into "the only thing she wants ... is for Alex to support Dolly".

Your alternative works too, grammatically - it's just that it feels a bit weaker.

< Previous | Next >