Excess of ceremony shows want of breeding

Michael_cycle

India - Hindi

you need to think about 'ceremony' in its abstract sense here.

It doesn't mean one ritual event but a way of behaving generally which is very formal and affected.

What is the meaning of `abstract sense'?

And also, meaning of `which is very formal and affected'?

Could anyone explain it?

• "Which is very formal and affected" refers back to "way of behaving." Basically it's saying that the behavior is formal (not relaxed, stiff) and affected (fake).

"In its abstract sense" refers back to, of course, "ceremony." It means to think about ceremony in general, not as one specific event or thing.

By the way, not sure if you know t his or not, but I'll throw it out. "Want of breeding" is a rarely-used way of saying "lack of breeding."

you need to think about 'ceremony' in its abstract sense here.

It doesn't mean one ritual event but a way of behaving generally which is very formal and affected.

What is the meaning of `abstract sense'?

And also, meaning of `which is very formal and affected'?

Could anyone explain it?

I agree with the previous explanations, so there's not need for further elaboration. However I will add that this sounds like a description of what might be described as a "social climber." That's someone who wants to fit in with a certain social class, so s/he's imitating what he believes to be their behavior. It's "fake" becasue s/he's just imitating, and therefore overdoing it!

Just my thoughts!

"Which is very formal and affected" refers back to "way of behaving." Basically it's saying that the behavior is formal (not relaxed, stiff) and affected (fake).

"In its abstract sense" refers back to, of course, "ceremony." It means to think about ceremony in general, not as one specific event or thing.

By the way, not sure if you know t his or not, but I'll throw it out. "Want of breeding" is a rarely-used way of saying "lack of breeding."
    Thank you very much.

Back