excessively a large number of [synonym for too many?]

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Would, 'excessively a large number of' be an appropriate definition for 'too many' in the following conversation? << Request for rewriting deleted >>
A: Can you see anything?
B: No, I can't see anything. There are too many people in front of me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • heypresto

English - England
    I'm afraid that 'excessively a large number of' makes little or no sense, and so could not be used to replace 'too many'.

I really can't see why you would need an alternative, and I can't think of one. Which is just as well, as we are not allowed to make lists.

Andygc

British English
    Moderator note.
    Please write your alternative sentence in full - don't expect us to replace "too many" ourselves. That way we will be sure that your question is clear.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Moderator note.
    Please write your alternative sentence in full - don't expect us to replace "too many" ourselves. That way we will be sure that your question is clear.
    Hi heypresto; Andygc:
    Thanks for your replies. My alternative is 'an excessive number of'. Would this one be correct?

TL

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think you still should answer heypresto's question about why you are doing this.
    We are puzzled as to why you would want to say:

There is an excessive number of people in front of me.

which is something we would never say. "An excessive number of people" is distinctly odd, and the original version is fine.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    I think you still should answer heypresto's question about why you are doing this.
    We are puzzled as to why you would want to say:
    There is an excessive number of people in front of me.
    which is something we would never say. "An excessive number of people" is distinctly odd, and the original version is fine.
    Hi Cagey,
    OK. I have no intention to substitute that phrase for the original one at all. It is just to explain the meaning to the students. I just have to be sure that I'm not writing something which is not logical or very unnatural.
    The students have a glossary with synonyms or definitions before each reading that helps them to understand the words or sentences. That is the reason.

TL

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Thank you. It's helpful to know why you are doing this. :)

The substitution is 'unnatural' in ordinary speech. It seems a plausible as an explanation, if you think the students will understand 'an excessive number of' more easily than they understand 'too many'.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Thank you. It's helpful to know why you are doing this. :)

The substitution is 'unnatural' in ordinary speech. It seems a plausible as an explanation, if you think the students will understand 'an excessive number of' more easily than they understand 'too many'. Yes, I do.:) Of course, I always tell them that they are just definitions that help them understand the words or phrases, but they are not to be substituted for the original ones.
    Hi Cagey,
    You're welcome.;)
    Thanks for your help.

TL

< Previous | Next >