exchange with / exchange for

Wookie

Korea, Korean
The attendant at the gas station told me the hundred bill I gave him was phony. So I went to our branch bank here and I tried to exchange the bad money for the good, but they said I couldn't do it.

Would it be a proper usage of "exchange" if you say "to exchange the bad money with the good" instead of "to exchange the bad money for the good"? Is there any difference between them? If so, I want to know the usages of them respectively.

• panjandrum

English-Ireland (top end)
    You want to exchange something for something else, not with.
    I wish you luck taking your phoney bill to the bank in the hope that they will exchange it for you :)

tinlizzy

USA - English
    I'm not sure I can explain this very well.

In your money example you would use "exchange for" at the bank- you are trading one item for another.

"Exchange with" is more the substitution of one item for another.

In your example situation after the attendant informs you the bill is bogus you could say to the attendant, "Let me exchange it with this bill", as you give him another bill and complete the purchase.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    I did say I wasn't sure if I could explain it :D.

I meant grab a (hopefully) good bill out of the wallet to give to the attendant- and I guess if the attendant was holding the bill it would be an exchange for -because one of the bills was now in his possession, but if you took the bill back then you would exchange it with another bill from your wallet.

Can we talk about furniture or clothes...