excitatory or facilitatory activation vs. inhibitory activat

< Previous | Next >

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
There is a sub-letter level of processing that deals with letter features(parts of letters).If the reader sees a vertical line, the resul will be to feed excitatory activation towards to the letter level, supporting the likelihood of the capital E,F,H, etc. No activation(or negative inhibitory activation) is lent to C,S,or X, which do not conform at all to what has been seen.

I totally cannot understand any word of this text! it is taken from the book "psycholinguistics, the key concepts, by John Field).
Could someone please rephrase these sentences for me?

• MilkyBarKid

British English
    ...activation upwards to...

...likelihood of the capital letters, E,F, H.

In recognizing a letter of the alphabet, the lines and curves must first be recognized. That is, there is a level of processing of the visual information - recognizing the individual parts that go together to form a letter - that goes on before we recognize it as a particular letter. That is, a sub-letter level of recognition of the parts.

You see a vertical line, |. Then, say, I ask you to guess the letter! Well, it has a vertical line, so going through the alphabet, you dismiss A - no vertical line - and get to D and get excited, because it does, and hold D in mind as possible. You reject A, B and C immediately - no excitement there = no activation, because there is no vertical line to get excited about.

bicontinental

English (US), Danish, bilingual
    ...activation upwards to...

...likelihood of the capital letters, E,F, H.

In recognizing a letter of the alphabet, the lines and curves must first be recognized. That is, there is a level of processing of the visual information - recognizing the individual parts that go together to form a letter - that goes on before we recognize it as a particular letter. That is, a sub-letter level of recognition of the parts.

You see a vertical line, |. Then, say, I ask you to guess the letter! Well, it has a vertical line, so going through the alphabet, you dismiss A - no vertical line - and get to D and get excited, because it does, and hold D in mind as possible. You reject A, B and C immediately - no excitement there = no activation, because there is no vertical line to get excited about.
    Nice explanation, MBK! I just don't understand why you would "reject B immediately" but "get excited when you get to D". Both letters have a vertical line...in addition to the curve(s). What seems to be the common denominator for E,F and H would be (horizontal) lines in addition to the vertical line, or simply an absence of curves?

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Thanks a million Milkybarkid. It really helped, but a question just like the one bicontinental asked, arose in my mind.

suzi br

English / England
    Well the question doesn't arise in the original, I'd just say milkybar made a slight mistake on the letters he used in his explanation.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    OOPS!
    Seems, when it comes to vertical lines, B just doesn't get me excited! I'm more an H and an N man.

Thanks, suzi. Always good to have a back-up pair of eyes for when I make a c***-up in a post.

suzi br

English / England
    OOPS!
    Seems, when it comes to vertical lines, B just doesn't get me excited! I'm more an H and an N man.

Thanks, suzi. Always good to have a back-up pair of eyes for when I make a c***-up in a post.
    ;)
    I've rarely known excitment like it ... my excitatory activation level is at an all time high.

< Previous | Next >