excluded for the sake of <inclusion>

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
You believe in free speech? No, you believe in hate speech, and now you're a criminal. You like democratic sovereignty? Then you're a xenophobe and a fascist. No platform for you. You want a secular society, you Islamophobic racist? You're spreading hate. And you'd better be using the right pronoun too if you don't want to be excluded for the sake of inclusion.
Welcome To Progressive Utopia, video by Pat Condell

I think by "the right pronoun" he means using gender-neutral pronouns, right? If so, could you explain to me what is meant by "inclusion" here? If it's about things lile cultural/racial diversity, what does it have to do with the "right pronoun"?
Thanks.

• The Newt

English - US
    The implication is that if you don't use the pronouns that are required in order to demonstrate inclusiveness (rather than simply the traditional male/female binary), then you will be excluded from the conversation.

se16teddy

English - England
    There are lots of contexts in which people may disagree on what the "right" pronoun is, including
    - (as you say) a preference for gender-neutral pronouns
    - referring to God
    - referring to transsexuals and people in the course of transition
    - gay men's traditional use of "she" to refer to one another,

The speaker assumes that some people - perhaps a "liberal elite" - favour one pronoun over another in the interests of "inclusion", as they understand that term. But enforcing or insisting on that preference may tend to exclude others.

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    For the liberal elite, "inclusion" might include things like
    - trying not to offend transsexuals, and people undergoing sex-transition, by making sure one refers to them by the pronoun that they prefer
    - trying not to offend women by assuming that unidentified office-holders (including perhaps God) are male.

The speaker, on the other hand, wants to use pronouns regardless of who that might offend, and feels oppressed (excluded) by anyone who tries to persuade him or her to use other pronouns.

Chasint

English - England
    For the liberal elite, "inclusion" might include things like
    - trying not to offend transsexuals, and people undergoing sex-transition, by making sure one refers to them by the pronoun that they prefer
    - trying not to offend women by assuming that unidentified office-holders (including perhaps God) are male.
    I fear you are being exclusive with your list se16teddy. Here is a table showing some current pronouns.

zie zim zir zis zieself
    sie sie hir hirs hirself
    ey em eir eirs eirself
    ve ver vis vers verself
    tey ter tem ters terself
    e em eir eirs emself
    Gender Pronouns | LGBT Resource Center

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I.e., an example of "inclusion" is when you say that God is "he or she" (you "include" both the male and the female pronoun), right?..

< Previous | Next >