exclusive domain

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Suppose there's a village leader whose health is getting worse that he has decided to step down and retire. According to the tradition, an election will be held to decide the next leader. However, only those who own more than 100 acres of land are allowed to nominate and vote.
I wonder if "exclusive domain" makes sense in reference to such an undemocratic election:

The election is an exclusive domain of the wealthy and powerful.

• Loob

English UK
    Hi redgiant

"Exclusive domain" works well, for me - but I'd change your wording slightly:
    Voting is the exclusive domain of the wealthy and powerful.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi redgiant

"Exclusive domain" works well, for me - but I'd change your wording slightly:
    Voting is the exclusive domain of the wealthy and powerful.
    Hi Loob,
    I appreciate your help, but your version seems to refer to voting/elections in general, doesn't it?

Loob

English UK
    Ah, I see your point, redgiant.

I still think you need the word "voting" rather than just "the election".

Maybe the answer is:
    Voting in the election is the exclusive domain of the wealthy and powerful.
    :)

akhooha

English - USA
    The election is an the exclusive domain of the wealthy and powerful.
    As long as its clear that you're speaking about the election of the village leader, that's all you have to say. There's really no point to including the word "voting", since you're probably already included the information that the "election" includes not only "voting", but also "nomination" as well.
    P.S. Are all landholders with 100 acres or more considered "wealthy and powerful"? If not, you may want to refer to "the exclusive domain of large landholders"....

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    My own example:
    Growing up in a household where my mother ruled with an iron fist, I tended to stay away from the kitchen when she was there preparing dinner. It was her exclusive domain no one would ever risk being punished for trespassing.

My mother tends to frown upon anyone bumbling around "her" kitchen. Is it appropriate to call it her "exclusive domain"?

akhooha

English - USA
    My own example:
    Growing up in a household where my mother ruled with an iron fist, I tended to stay away from the kitchen when she was there preparing dinner. It was her exclusive domain no one would ever risk being punished for trespassing.

My mother tends to frown upon anyone bumbling around "her" kitchen. Is it appropriate to call it her "exclusive domain"?
    Yes.

< Previous | Next >