Excuse me, how much is this?

freeman

English
Hi everyone I'm new here and heading to Vanuatu on a cruise from Australia in a month. I'm just trying to learn a few phrases that will make my trip a bit easier and so i don't seem completely ignorant when I get there. I have read all the faq's and the rules like knowing to write the question in the header but I might have missed something. I've tried the search button for my phrases, tried a dictionary to piece them together but couldn't, and searched the internet but it took ages so I figured I'd ask here and someone could spare a minute and save me heaps of trouble! I'm after:

'Excuse me, how much is this?'
[...]

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it!
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Benjy

English - English
    Hi :D

Thanks you for taking the time to read the rules. I know that this is going to seem really anal but I am going to only answer the first question and respectfully ask that you repost the other questions in their own threads :)

"excusez-moi, cela coûte combien?"

freeman

English
    Does this also make sense referring to 'excuse me, how much is this?'

m'excuser, combien est ceci ?

Benjy

English - English
    Not really :) I think you would be understood, but it's definitely not the best French.

What you want to use is the imperative (command form) which in this case is "excusez-moi" then you need to ask how much it costs, not how much it is.

Ceci coute combien is possible I guess, but not great.

< Previous | Next >