Excuse me vs. pardon

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
If you see someone is playing his phone towards you and not aware of you, what will you say to him, "excuse me" or "pardon" in AmE? Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Can you explain what you mean by "playing his phone towards you" and why you would need to speak to the person about it?

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
    Can you explain what you mean by "playing his phone towards you" and why you would need to speak to the person about it?
    Sorry, he is playing phone and walking towards me. I have to say something to draw his attention in order to avoid bumping with him.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As an AE speaker, I am more likely to say "Excuse me" than "Pardon" (or "Pardon me.") But if all you need is to get the person's attention, probably any vocalization will do.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    To avoid collisions I usually say "Hey!" loudly, or some other quick, loud sound.

In a different situation (people standing still) if I want to start a conversation with someone, I say "Excuse me?" to get their attention.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    To avoid collisions I usually say "Hey!" loudly
    :thumbsup: I might follow this with :warning:"Why don't you watch where you're going, you moron!"

This is no place for "Excuse me". He is being impolite by not paying attention, and deserves to have this pointed out to him in no uncertain terms.
    The other option, of course, is to say nothing, let him bump into you, and then to apologise profusely as if it had been your fault. Sarcasm sometimes works better than confrontational words.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    :thumbsup: I might follow this with :warning:"Why don't you watch where you're going, you moron!"

This is no place for "Excuse me". He is being impolite by not paying attention, and deserves to have this pointed out to him in no uncertain terms.
    I agree. Personally I wouldn't say anything, I'd just let them walk into me and teach them a lesson.

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    "Oi!" usually works for me. :D

What if the person about to walk into you was Ten Ton Tessie, Copperknickers? Would you be so daredevil? :D
    I've had much worse than Ten Ton Tessie try to knock me into touch during my rugby days, and I stood my ground pretty well, so I'll take my chances. :D

< Previous | Next >