executive sponsorship of a project

< Previous | Next >

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi,

In this question sentence What actions are required for successful executive sponsorship of a project? I don't understand well the phrase executive sponsorship of a project. Can you give me phrase synonym in simple words/phrase?

Thanks.

• sdgraham

USA English
    It sounded like bureaucratic babble to me, but Wikipedia says:

"The role of Executive sponsor (sometimes called Project sponsor) is a role in project management, usually the senior member of the project board and often the chair."

The more I think about it, it still sounds like bureaucratic babbling meaning that somebody really important is pushing a pet project, but I might be overly cynical.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you sdgraham for your answer. If I understand correctly, you mean that that phrase 'executive sponsorship of a project' is not good phrase because sounds like bureaucratic babbling ? and what should I use to replace it? But I copy it from a project document writing by native speaker. I feel to me like 'executive sponsorship of a project' is like a CEO (chief executive officer) of project? but looking at the word sponsorship, I think it's like you sponsor, so you're not CEO officer who is employee, I mean a sponsor is an employer.. donor.. or partner of a business or any project .. yes!? But looking at executive sponsorship, it to me looks like the sponsor also work/operate on the project himself too but as a name of donor/financial supporter who do activities himself? I hope I question correctly in English..!?

Thomas Veil

English - USA
    I'm not an expert on this, so the following may be incorrect, but here's my understanding:

A corporation is a group of individuals that are treated as a person. As an abstract concept, a corporation can't actually sign contracts. So, there is a set of people who are considered to be able to act on behalf of the corporation and do things like sign contracts on its behalf. These people are called "executives" (the person in charge of all of them is the chief executive officer, or CEO). If a corporation is engaged in a major operation, there needs to be someone involved in that project who has executive powers; otherwise, the team is going to have to keep trying to find an executive every time they want someone to sign a contract. If there's a specific executive attached to the project, that is the "executive sponsor".

Basically, the executive sponsor is someone who is authorized to speak for the corporation (executive) who has said, on behalf of the corporation, that this project should be pursued (sponsor). Otherwise, it's just a bunch of employees spending company money without permission.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you Thomas Veil for your help.

So

1. Let me confirm my understanding your passage that you want to say that 'executive sponsorship of a project' is like a CEO of a project?

2. Let me ask that whether 'executive sponsorship of a project' is an employer or employee [for my easy remembering only] ?

< Previous | Next >