exercise / drill

kaven-ever

Chinese
Hi!
I think they can both mean: a simulation for training and evaluation.
But I doubt if they have a different connotaton with that meaning.
For example:
1: XX(a country) conducted military exercises(drill) on his neighbor's(a country too, and both are hostil to each other) border.
I think "exercises" here means a provocation, as to "drill", I'm not so sure if it would be strange here, or maybe it sounds less provocative than "exercises"?
2: Russia and China held joint navy exercises(drill).
I think both mean the same.

And, it seems "exercise" always relates to military, but "drill" can collocate with others such as "fire drill".
Please let me know your thought, thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Hm, for me theynare not the same:
    exercise - any practice that prepares you for whatever you will be doing
    drill - an exercise that prepares you for a specific situation, mostly some kind of emergency

You say fire drills, for instance.
    In itself, a military exercise does not have to be a provocation, even though they are often meant that way. But ot is not the word itself that implies it, it is the apparent intention and the context or surrounding political situation.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    As a former sailor, I would definitely not consider them to be the same. Exercises is correct in that sentence; drill(s) is not.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suggest that in the context we've been given, an exercise is a large-scale activity involving a lot of people and equipment, and probably involving a number of different organisations.
    A drill is an activity that focusses on the activities of individuals.

My suggestion may be quite wrong.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I suggest that in the context we've been given, an exercise is a large-scale activity involving a lot of people and equipment, and probably involving a number of different organisations.
    A drill is an activity that focusses on the activities of individuals.

My suggestion may be quite wrong.
    That's a good way to,describe them.

< Previous | Next >