expand/consolidate the/its footprint/leading position

< Previous | Next >

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the expressions in bold is correct in the following:
She values the bank’s international scope and its desire to expand/consolidate the/its footprint/(leading position) in the market segments in which it operates, as demonstrated by the contemplated merger with Y Inc.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You can use any combination of the alternatives to construct a number of sentences, all of which will have totally different meanings.

Expand does not mean consolidate, and footprint does not mean "leading position." Our dictionary is here to help you. :thumbsup:

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    You can use any combination of the alternatives to construct a number of sentences, all of which will have totally different meanings.

Expand does not mean consolidate, and footprint does not mean "leading position." Our dictionary is here to help you. :thumbsup:
    Thank you, PaulQ, for your reply. If you opt for consolidate the/its leading position, would you need something, i.e. a verb, before in the market segments in which it operates?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    This is pretty basic stuff: "in the market segments in which it operates" is a prepositional phrase modifying "position." I cannot think of a verb that would fit in a clause that already has a verb...

PS It will not be the leading position unless you have already mentioned its leading position.

< Previous | Next >