expect

Artrella

Banned
BA
Spanish-Argentina
Hi everybody! I was doing a paper with a classmate and wanted to express that the person involved in the sentence below has a feeling that sth bad is going to happen, so he is expecting it to happen. But this girl wasn't sure about the use of the verb "expect" because she says it is only used for positive things. Is this so? By the way, is the sentence correct? Is it understandable?
His utter uncertainty is also expressed in the couplet with a somber tone since the persona seems to be expecting the loss of his “good angel”.

Thank you! Art. :confused:

• garryknight

UK, English
    Artrella said:
    this girl wasn't sure about the use of the verb "expect" because she says it is only used for positive things. Is this so?
    In my experience, people use it for positive, negative, and neutral things:
    "I'm expecting a pay rise in July."
    "I expect he'll be angry when he gets home."
    "My daughter's expecting."

(OK, the last one was cheating.)

Hormiguita pointed out that you'd misspelt 'person'. I'd just like to add that 'somber' is the American spelling. The British spelling is 'sombre'. You might know this already; I'm telling you just for interest.

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    hormiguita said:
    Yes, "expecting" is appropriate, but you spelled person "persona". :)

Hormiguita, thanks for your concern about spelling, but "persona" is a literary term which denotes the "person" (the "I" of an "alter ego") who speaks in a poem or novel or other form of literature. (The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory).
    Bye, A. :)

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    garryknight said:
    In my experience, people use it for positive, negative, and neutral things:
    "I'm expecting a pay rise in July."
    "I expect he'll be angry when he gets home."
    "My daughter's expecting."

(OK, the last one was cheating.)

Hormiguita pointed out that you'd misspelt 'person'. I'd just like to add that 'somber' is the American spelling. The British spelling is 'sombre'. You might know this already; I'm telling you just for interest.

Yes, right, I misspelt "sombre" . Thanks for telling me, otherwise my English Literature teacher would have "punished" us for the mistake.
    ;)

dave

UK - English
    hormiguita said:
    Yes, "expecting" is appropriate, but you spelled person "persona". :)
    I think persona is fine in this context (it is not the same word as person).

NB: Plural of persona is personae - but you probably already knew that Art! :cool:

< Previous | Next >