Expecting a miracle

Hello!

In my native language there's an idiom - "expecting a miracle" - which is sometimes used for saying "expecting a child" in a more beautiful way.

Can you say the same about "pregnancy" or there's no connection for you in the English language?

For example, if I said "I'm expecting a miracle", would you understand me?

Thank you in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Can you say the same about "pregnancy"
    No.
    or there's is there no connection for you in the English language?
    None.
    For example, if I said "I'm expecting a miracle", would you understand me?
    No. I would probably understand that you did not want the pregnancy and that you hoped there would be a miracle and the pregnancy would end.

A: "I am expecting a miracle..."
    B: "Why? What's happened? What sort of a miracle? Do you expect someone to walk on water?"

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think I've heard the expression used by parents in the U.S. "He's our little miracle." to refer to a baby boy, for instance. I think that might be used in circumstances where there were problems getting pregnant or where the baby had medical problems. Maybe others in the U.S. can chime in and clarify or contradict.

Added:
    Here's some fan fiction (based on the writing, presumably by an American writer) entitled "Our Little Miracle".

Maya Hart's life was going great. She was doing okay in school. Her mom and Shawn got married. She has 3 best friends always there for her. Her life gets turned upside down when she finds herself pregnant.

Our Little Miracle - Im What? - Wattpad

< Previous | Next >