expendiency

reginaregina

Chinese
My classmate said he hasn't bought the textbook needed for next week's class. I want to say, just borrow the textbook from the library first to use it temporarily. Could I say:"borrow the book from library for expendiency." Because I saw expendiency has the meaning "appropriate for the purpose at hand." Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't do that for a variety of reasons, the first being the definition of expediency: 1 convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral. 2 suitable or appropriate. Those definitions don't really fit your meaning. People often think that "expedient" means quick and easy -- but it's not that simple.

Another reason I wouldn't use it is because it's long and unwieldy. I would just say, "Borrow a copy from the library" and leave it at that.

And the third reason is because all the other lame students who didn't buy the book will have already borrowed all the library copies. :)

reginaregina

Chinese
    I wouldn't do that for a variety of reasons, the first being the definition of expediency: 1 convenient and practical although possibly improper or immoral. 2 suitable or appropriate. Those definitions don't really fit your meaning. People often think that "expedient" means quick and easy -- but it's not that simple.

Another reason I wouldn't use it is because it's long and unwieldy. I would just say, "Borrow a copy from the library" and leave it at that.

And the third reason is because all the other lame students who didn't buy the book will have already borrowed all the library copies. :)
    Thank you very much. If I want to mean that using some methods temporarily bacause of lacking money or resources. What should I say?

Copyright

American English
    Thank you very much. If I want to mean that using some methods temporarily bacause of lacking money or resources. What should I say?
    Something to note in modifying my first answer: I didn't go through every dictionary to find the various definitions of expedient, but I do see that Wiktionary defines it as simple, easy, or quick; convenient -- which does fit you meaning. And I know that many people use expedient in this manner, i.e. to get the job done. So I wouldn't tell you not to use it, just that I might not.

And mtmjr offers a good thought.

And you can simply use "temporarily" or "for now":
    Borrow the book from library for now -- until you can buy your own.

< Previous | Next >