expensive/tuition

< Previous | Next >

Japanese and Japan
Is is OK to say as follows?
1. The tuition was too expensive.
2. The tuition was too high.

I think if the tuition means "tuition fee," then #2 is correct, but if it means "lesson" or "teaching," then #1 is good.
Which is correct, #1 or #2?

• modulus

ইংরেজি - আমেরিক
    "Tuition" refers to money that was paid.

Whether you'd use "too" or "very" depends on the context. With no context: I'd say it was very high. But, "too expensive" can be perfectly valid in context.

Last edited:

JustKate

I have only rarely heard tuition to mean anything other than "a fee paid for teaching," but I speak AmE, and I see from the WR dictionary that tuition meaning "lessons" is still used in BE. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what the dictionary says. (It is still used in AmE, just not very often.) In any case, it seems clear to me that the "fee" meaning has to be the one in effect here, in which case both "too expensive" and "too high" are perfectly fine.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I agree with Keith. The word 'tuition' in BrE has nothing to do with money.

The cost of tuition was too high.
    The tuition was very expensive.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I hear, "How much are the tuition fees?"

In the UK, over the past few years, there has been much fuss about the rise in tuition fees at most universities. Tuition is as KeithB says - teaching, often privately, but also commonly at university.

so
    1. The tuition was too expensive.
    2. The tuition was too high.

would really have to have the words "costs" or "fees" following and the verb placed in the plural, or "cost of" and "fee for" inserted before them. (see: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/tuition.html)

That said, "1. The tuition was too expensive." might pass muster in conversation if "The tuition" is understood, via context, as "The tuition fees"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >