Expired vs. rotten vs. go bad

jokaec

Chinese - Hong Kong
1) This beef is almost expired, we can’t eat it.
2) This beef is almost rotten, we can’t eat it.
3) This beef almost goes bad, we can’t eat it.

Are they all correct? Thank you.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Only 2) is correct, but I would say "This beef is off"
    1) expired means died - The cow has died but beef cannot. You could say "..has reached its expiry date"
    3) You would need to say "..has almost gone bad" but that is not idiomatic.

Barque

Tamil
    You could use "expired" if you're referring to tinned beef, or beef that's been processed in some way and comes with an expiry date. In any case, people normally avoid eating food if it has expired, not when it's almost expired.

The second could work. I'd word it differently however. This beef looks like it's going/has gone bad.

The third is unnatural. The present tense isn't used in this context.

There's a comma splice in all three examples. You either need a semicolon instead of the comma, or a full stop with "We" starting a new sentence.

Myridon

English - US
    In AmE, we do say something is expired if it's past its expiration date, but meat would have a cut-on date or a sell-by date. Things are often good past their expiration date.
    "Almost" something is "not" something by a small amount. It's not rotten and it hasn't gone bad so we can still eat it.

Packard

USA, English
    In AmE, we do say something is expired if it's past its expiration date, but meat would have a cut-on date or a sell-by date. Things are often good past their expiration date.
    "Almost" something is "not" something by a small amount. It's not rotten and it hasn't gone bad so we can still eat it.
    I agree. "Suspect" is the word that comes to mind.

The meat is significantly past is sell-by-date; it's safe use is suspect.

Mostly I see: "Best if sold by...".

Yesterday I bought a package of snow peas with "best if sold by 11/26/17" and I will use these this week.

With the exception of ground beef, all meats that are cooked will be safely used after the sell by date. Ground meats are an exception, and in any case must be fully cooked.

< Previous | Next >