Explanation of the acronym "STALDOM"

Private-Person

Russian
Hello!

May you write me, please, how do you understand this explanation of the acronym "STALDOM" - Sophisticated Technology of ALternative DOMestic and industrial building construction? Staldom is a construction company which builds different types of buildings (residential, industrial and agricultural ones). I want to have your opinion on whether my explanation of the acronym "STALDOM" - Sophisticated Technology of ALternative DOMestic and industrial building construction " is proper and understandable or no?
P.S.: I had a task to give an explanation of the acronym of our company so all the words have to match the letters in the acronym.

Looking forward for your answers!

---
Regards,
Valentina.

• suzi br

English / England
    Hi
    I am not sure I understand your question. Do you work for this firm and have to make a new acronym or is this an acronym that is already used?

Elwintee

England English
    I hope we'll hear back from Private-Person, but in the meantime I would suggest that STALDOM is a Russian acronym which stands for STEEL (STAL) - HOME/BUILDING (DOM). So the English version of the expansion needs to be concocted to match this as closely as possible.

Private-Person

Russian
    I hope we'll hear back from Private-Person, but in the meantime I would suggest that STALDOM is a Russian acronym which stands for STEEL (STAL) - HOME/BUILDING (DOM). So the English version of the expansion needs to be concocted to match this as closely as possible.
    Yep, you're right, it's a Russian acronym "<Russian deleted>" and in Russian the translation sounds <something> like: Modern Technology of Alternative Light-to-Assemble Housing Construction. As you see with the help of this explanadion it's impossible to render all the letters of the acronym "Staldom".

Last edited by a moderator:

Private-Person

Russian
    Yep, you're right, it's a Russian acronym "Сталдом" and in Russian the translation sounds smth like: Modern Technology of Alternative Light-to-Assemble Housing Construction. As you see with the help of this explanadion it's impossible to render all the letters of the acronym "Staldom".
    But my boss want me to render approximately all the letters of this acronym. So, may you tell me whether it's understandable what i wanted to say or no?

Elwintee

England English
    Your suggestion is: "Sophisticated Technology of ALternative DOMestic and industrial building construction". As a response to your boss's request I think that is pretty good, and I certainly can't improve on it. However, I think your boss is asking the impossible, and outside Russia it would perhaps be better just to describe what the STALDOM enterprise does (e.g. Better Buildings - Sophisticated Technology) without trying to do a mock-up of the acronym. Here in the UK we are used to long-winded Russian titles for firms and state enterprises, and they do sound rather stiff and old-fashioned.

Private-Person

Russian
    Your suggestion is: "Sophisticated Technology of ALternative DOMestic and industrial building construction". As a response to your boss's request I think that is pretty good, and I certainly can't improve on it. However, I think your boss is asking the impossible, and outside Russia it would perhaps be better just to describe what the STALDOM enterprise does (e.g. Better Buildings - Sophisticated Technology) without trying to do a mock-up of the acronym. Here in the UK we are used to long-winded Russian titles for firms and state enterprises, and they do sound rather stiff and old-fashioned.
    Thank you very much for your answer!

< Previous | Next >