Exploiting time

< Previous | Next >

register0000

cantonese
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask if we can use the verb "exploit" in the meaning of using something into its maximum potential with the noun "time"

For instance, will it be correct to say " In order to ensure that children's free time is fully exploited, parents ... " ?

Thank you !

• sdgraham

USA English
    I would not use "exploited" in your sentence, since it sounds as though the parents are taking advantage of their children, such as forcing them to work in sweat shops producing mobile telephones or something.

"Exploit" often has a negative connotation, at least in AE.

register0000

cantonese
    Ok ! Thank you for your respond !
    Could you please suggest one or two other words that I can use to say that children spend their time properly ?
    (like make advantage of their time ? )

sdgraham

USA English
    Ok ! Thank you for your respond !
    Could you please suggest one or two other words that I can use to say that children spend their time properly ?
    (like make take advantage of their time ? )
    Although your statements above are good (as corrected) it takes more than a word or two.

You could try "utilize their time ...."

Antoine Meyer

English - Canada
    "Exploited" is correct but it is redundant to write the adverb "fully" immediately before "exploited" because "exploited" means "made full use of."

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I agree with sdgraham that the negative connotations associated with "exploit" make it a poor choice for the OP's sentence.

The WR dictionary definition of "exploit" does not include the sense of "make full use of." It is often used that way, but "fully exploited" doesn't sreike me as redundant.

e2efour

UK English
    Exploit no more has the sense of make full use of any more than utilise does.
    The choice of word is a matter of style and in my experience exploit is not often used of time.There is also nothing necessarily negative about phrases like exploit an opportunity/the situation, which can also be done to the full.

You can also use make the most of their time.

< Previous | Next >