explosive device which was found not to be [viable]

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Suspect explosive device at Man United stadium "not viable" - police

Quotation: May 15 A suspect package which was subject to a controlled explosion at soccer club Manchester United's Old Trafford stadium on Sunday was an "incredibly lifelike explosive device" which was found not to be viable, police said.

Earlier the club's English Premier League match against Bournemouth was cancelled and the stadium evacuated shortly before kick-off on police advice after a suspect package was found.
===
Hi everyone! Does "viable" here mean "the explosive device was incapable of detonation"? The usage of "viable" is new to me.

• Barque

Tamil
    I find it an unusual use of "viable" but the meaning is that it wasn't a bomb that would work - it wasn't capable of exploding by itself. It wasn't in working condition, if you will.

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    Yes, the meaning fits but I just found it unusual that the word was used to describe that device, which seems to have been something that looked like a bomb but wasn't, or a defective bomb. To me, that sounds like a model car, or a car with the engine taken out, being described as "not viable".

< Previous | Next >