expose a secret plane to an air force that runs to Iran whenever you take to the air

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
-- Have you heard of any classified planes being flown during the Persian Gulf War?
-- Why would you need to expose a secret plane to an air force that runs to Iran whenever you take to the air?
The X-Files, TV series

Does that mean:
1. expose a secret plane to an air force that runs to Iran whenever you take to the air
or
2. expose a secret plane to an air force that runs to Iran whenever you take to the air
?

In other words -- " ... expose ...... whenever ..." or "... runs ....... whenever...."?
Thanks.

Last edited:
  • dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Gramatically, the long phrase "that runs...the air?" seems to apply to "air force". But your alternative suggestion makes sense: saying that you "expose" the secret plane "whenever you take to the air" is very logical. It makes more sense than the other one.

I can't figure out the "runs to Iran" part. The "Persian Gulf War" it was in 1990, and was Iraq (not Iran) invading and occupying Kuwait. The US air force attacked the Iraqi in Kuwait for 42 days. So how does "runs to Iran" fit in?

For 50 years Iran was a close US ally, and we trained their Air Force. But that ended in 1979, 11 years before the war. In 1990 the US and Iran were hostile, so our Air Force (fighting in Kuwait) would not be going to Iran for any reason. Iraq and Iran were hostile neighbors, so Iraq's air force would not be "running to Iran" either.

My conclusion is that this line of the TV script is badly written, and I don't understand it.

I mean, sure, Mulder is a smart guy. It's his script writers who are dumb.:D

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Do you mean he says "eye-ran" instead of "ee-ran"? In the US both of those are very common pronunciations of that country. So they are both acceptable in AE.

I assume that in Iran it is "ee-ran", though I am not sure.

Okkervil

Russian - Russia (NW)
    As they speak about some classified planes not to be exposed to an air force is it possible that there is no Iran at all but they just use an idiom sounding like that runs to "eye-ran" or "iron"?

< Previous | Next >