Express / expresso / espresso

Nyetochka

United States-English
I need to translate the word "espresso" into French. WordReference says it is "express", French Wikipedia says it is "expresso", and the largest number of French google pages says "espresso." The text I need it for is informal, so it's not a matter or correctness (more colloquial is probably better, in fact). What I need is what people would say, what they would order in a café. Express, expresso, or espresso?
Thanks!

• marinagrobis

France
    A lot of people in France mispronounce this word into "espresso" (and other words like "exprès", "exprimer", which is usually not a sign of being highly educated), which might explain your google results, as spelling is unfortunately going to the dogs these days and people write just like they speak! I believe, also, that in Italian it is indeed spelt with an "s", so maybe the Italians are just ahead of the evolution of the pronunciation!

Isabelle1650

French & English
    Hi,

The correct term is indeed "expresso", however you commonly hear in cafés the waiters shorten the word to say "express' "

Nyetochka

United States-English
    So glad to know!
    One more question if that's ok: how would you say "espresso machine"? Like the large ones in a coffee shop? Is it "machine à expresso"?
    Thanks to all!

< Previous | Next >