Express oneself

< Previous | Next >

Ibiscus

Northern Italian
Hello there!

Does it sound fluent to say:

she is also confident to express herself in English both orally and in writing at high level

?

My doubt is in word order..

Thank you so much,

Ibiscus

• perfavore

USA
    Philippines - Tagalog
    Hi Ibiscus,

My suggestion is: She is also confident in expressing herself in English both orally and in writing (or just oral and written) at an advanced level.

Toadie

English
    It would sound better like this, IMO:

"She also expresses herself confidently in English, both orally and in writing at high level."

Toadie

English
    I posted that before I had seen Perfavore's response. I didn't mean to say his sounded wrong in any way. It's also a perfectly constructed sentence.

perfavore

USA
    Philippines - Tagalog
    Hi Toadie,

Thanks for the compliment. I always have mixed feelings when giving help in translation. Most of the time I try to stay as close to the original construction and just improve it to encourage the other people because I feel that if I totally reconstruct it, they may get the impression that they have absolutely no idea about the other language and get discouraged. Just my thoughts.

Packard

USA, English
    This is how I would probably write this:

She was highly confident of her fluency in English, both written and spoken.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi, I also have a question about "express oneself":

I wonder if the following usage of the phrase “Express oneself” is fine:

I expressed myself to my father after many year’s silence.

I want to say that I never tell my father I love him and neither does he, but we both love each other deeply. We expresses our love and care by doing something else instead of telling each other. But one day I say I love you to him. A similar one goes like:

When I expressed myself to my mother on Monday’s Day, she couldn’t hold back her tears.

Thoughts:

I don’t think it’s fine, but I don’t know what to say. Can you help?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Silver. I think "expressed myself" is too vague for this context. I'd use something longer "I told my mother how I really felt about her."

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    owlman's suggestion is also idiomatic for me.

There are two different usage of "to express oneself" in the thread----I think? :confused:

The first one deals more with articulating oneself. If a person can express himself well in a language, they can articulate/communicate effectively.

The other "to express oneself" deals more with feelings (in your case, Silver, with your Dad and Mom).

I think you could say "I expressed myself (got my feelings out), and I felt much better".

This however isn't all that idiomatic in your specific case, Silver.

In addition to owlman's version, I say "I opened up to my Dad/Mom".

I hope this makes sense.

SoLaTiDoberman

Japanese
    Hello.

(Context) She always wears peculiar clothes, hair color, and glasses. Her fashion is always funny or odd, and it reflects her personality. She has a funny or peculiar personality.
    OR
    She always wears formal and decent clothes. She has a very strict and taut personality. Her fashion always reflects her personality.

In these cases, can we say, "Her fashion always expresses herself" ?
    Thank you!

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    (Context) She always wears peculiar clothes, hair color, and glasses. Her fashion is always funny or odd, and it reflects her personality. She has a funny or peculiar personality.
    OR
    She always wears formal and decent clothes. She has a very strict and taut personality. Her fashion always reflects her personality.

In these cases, can we say, "Her fashion always expresses herself" ?
    Thank you!
    You can't do it with a reflexive pronoun 'herself', but I daresay "She always expresses her personality in her choice of clothes" might work.

< Previous | Next >