expressing our appreciation for presence

Tepidish

Japanese
We've sent an invitation for our business partners.
The invitation was about our business policy briefing and it is very formal.
We've gotten replies and now we know how many of them are coming.
Now, we want to send them a notification of where, when it will be held and so on.
In original message (written in Japanese) expressing our appreciation for their presence.
I need to translate it.

Can I write "We are honored to have your presence"?
I could find some questions about invitations but this is different as we already know that they are coming.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    We will be honoured by your presence.

It is quite formal, of course. And also, it assumes you are certain the person will attend.

boozer

Bulgarian
    It is not something I would use myself. I was just trying to help him render what the Japanese original says in a more English kind of way. 'Honoured to have your presence' is decidedly very un-English.

Incidentally, I checked around. This is not the first question of its kind. The very same phrase (with 'will' instead of 'would') did not sound foreign to another AE speaker 8 years ago.
    your presence is an honor for all of us

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    'Honoured to have your presence' is decidedly very un-English.
    Agreed. :thumbsup:
    The very same phrase (with 'will' instead of 'would') did not sound foreign to another AE speaker 8 years ago.
    It sounds okay with "would," but not with "will," in this context.

Another example:

<part of invitation>
    Please come over for dinner sometime. I would be delighted to host you. :tick:

<invitation accepted>
    I'm glad you're coming! I will be delighted to host you. :thumbsdown:

Tepidish

Japanese
    We do know that they are attending.
    So I think I'm going to use "We will be honered by your presence" since my boss want it to sounds like the original.

Thank you elroy and boozer. :)
    Will this do?
    "We will be honored by your presence and looking forward to see you at the ceremony."

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Perhaps

We look forward to having the honor of your presence at the ceremony.

I don’t love it, but you want it to be close to the original...

boozer

Bulgarian
    Will this do?
    "We will be honored by your presence and looking forward to seeing you at the ceremony."
    With the two small corrections above, you can rest assured that it is perfectly grammatical and formal English. Possibly formal to the point of sounding 'foreign', but that is not something I would be too worried about. :D

Tepidish

Japanese
    Perhaps

We look forward to having the honor of your presence at the ceremony.

I don’t love it, but you want it to be close to the original...
    Thank you Elroy.
    I take your advice. :) (although you don't love it)
    I think Japanese companies will always sound Japanese even when they speak English... they don't want to compromise or make it sounds different from the original idea, but Japanese & English are completely different language...
    anyway, thank you so much for your help! This is so helpful!

Tepidish

Japanese
    With the two small corrections above, you can rest assured that it is perfectly grammatical and formal English. Possibly formal to the point of sounding 'foreign', but that is not something I would be too worried about. :D
    Thank you boozer, for the corrections.
    My English is very unformal and yet got this job to translate too formal invitations... life...
    but now I found this helpful site. :)
    Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >