Expression for "having stereotypes"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by DaylightDelight, Nov 6, 2016.

1. DaylightDelight Senior Member

Japanese - Tokyo
    Hello,

Is there better ways to say "I am influenced by gender stereotypes to a certain degree"?
    The above sentence feels too stiff and wordy, but I cannot come up with a better expression.

What I'm trying to express is that I'm not so stereotyped in general, but from time to time
    I catch myself thinking in somewhat stereotyped way.
    Are there more simple expressions like "held by gender stereotype" or "is under gender stereotypes"?
    (I know these are wrong. I wrote them just to show how it would look like).

Thanks in advance.

2. RedwoodGrove

RedwoodGrove Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    Believe me, that is exactly how people express themselves around these issues in my part of the country.

But give us some context.

3. DaylightDelight Senior Member

Japanese - Tokyo
    Thanks. Actually there aren't much context to add.
    While reading the thread about a girl and a fire engine (Mother father Neelam said I have a got a fire engine [punctuation]), I caught myself assuming it was a boy just because of "I got a fire engine!" And when I tried to post about that I realised I just didn't know how to use the word "stereotypes" properly in a sentence.

4. RedwoodGrove

California
    English, USA
    I was reading the same thread and was going to say something a little arch and thought better of it. Your first sentence seems pretty good. Conversationally you could say:

I can't believe how much I am still influenced by gender stereotypes, even today!

I don't know, there are a million ways to cut it.

5. DaylightDelight Senior Member

Japanese - Tokyo
    Thank you. So "influenced by stereotypes" does not sound so pompous?
    Maybe it's because of "stereotypes" itself -- it looks like a not-quite-but-nearly-big word to me.

6. RedwoodGrove

California
    English, USA
    Well, it's not pompous because you are admitting a fault. As far as the word itself, there are a few alternatives but this is a good choice. "Prejudice" is too strong and negative, for example.

7. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    This may have become clear in the discussion above, but I want to point out that 'to be stereotyped' means that other people stereotyping you.

For the meaning you have in mind, you have to use some of the other versions suggested above, including your own "thinking in somewhat stereotyped way." This could also be shortened to "thinking in stereotypes."

For this idea, you could use RedwoodGrove's "influenced by stereotypes."

8. DaylightDelight Senior Member

Japanese - Tokyo
    Thank you, RedwoodGrove and Cagey.
    And thanks for pointing that out. I have somehow gotten a wrong idea that "stereotyped" is an adjective meaning "having stereotypes," like "prejudiced" or "biased." Now I've looked it up and learned it has no such meaning.
    But in that case, I don't see how "thinking in stereotyped way" can be correct. Shouldn't it be "stereotyping way"?

9. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    My wits seem to have left me when I wrote the post above. It should be:

"other people are stereotyping you" and
    "thinking in a somewhat stereotyped way."

"Stereotyping way" doesn't work, though I can understand why you think it would.
    'Stereotyped way' can indicate that your thinking is based on stereotypes.

10. DaylightDelight Senior Member

Japanese - Tokyo
    Okay. I guess I'd better learn them as they are, not try too hard to analyze them:
    "to think in stereotypes", "to think in a stereotyped way", "to have stereotypes", "to be influenced by stereotypes", "to stereotype something/someone" ...

Thanks again for enlightening me.