expression for luck in unfortunate situations <saving grace>

Discussion in 'English Only' started by siares, Jul 10, 2015.

1. siares

siares Senior Member

Slovak
    Hi all,
    I'd like to find idiomatic expression for luck in unfortunate situations.
    For example:
    I got a terrible nose bleed on the bus - luckily someone had ice in picnic bag (used for cooling things).
    Or
    Luckily I wasn't wearing the expensive dress I bought just half an hour before.

I am looking for an expression similar to 'add insult to an injury'; but a positive one.
    Thank you.

2. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    There's nothing wrong with "luckily" or "fortunately" - why look further? (I can't think of anything else offhand, anyway.)

3. siares

siares Senior Member

Slovak
    I may have thought of not enough extreme situations. It should be something like: I had a horrible day, and there was only one thing which made it slightly bearable.
    It is not really luck, as it doesn't neutralise the situation completely, it just makes it slightly less horrible than it could have been. The overall conclusion is that the situation was still very bad.
    A more extreme situation:
    He was attacked by his neighbour's dog and barely escaped with his life - the only luck in that terrible situation was - that the dog had been on a leash and he was able to crawl away (but only after being injured severely).

So it is the kind of luck which comes at high cost.

4. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    "The only saving grace was that..."

5. siares

siares Senior Member

Slovak
    Thank you very much, ainttranslationfun, that says what I wanted to say.
    (I've amended the thread title now)