Expression on "have the foods first before pay the bill"?

< Previous | Next >

bearden

Chinese
Dear all,

I would like to ask an easy question (not to me) on check-out:

Last night my wife and I were at WholeFoods, the grocery market in midtown. We also got some hot foods and salads besides a lot of produces. I wanted my wife to take the foods away first and have them in the in-store cafe when it was my turn to check out, since I would spend 5-10 minutes checking them out and my wife was already very hungry.

But I just didn't know what to say to the cashier. I think I was asking: "Can she take the foods away while I am paying the bill here" ? Apparently the cashier was confused and had no idea what I was saying. I don't remember how it ended up, but finally cashier understood and she said "Of course you can".

So my question is, how should I say in that situation? What would be an idiomatic and concise expression?

I greatly appreciate any of your input. Thank you very much!

• soccergal

English - US
    I would ask the cashier to ring up the ready to eat food first and ask Could she go ahead and take this to the cafe? Go ahead, in this context means do it right now. Once the food items have been rung up or scanned, it shouldn't matter as long as the person with the money is still at the register.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I don't understand the situation. Or rather, I don't understand the need for any question/request.

In that context, I would simply place the foods my wife wanted first on the checkout. She could then take them away. It's possible that the cashier was confused by your request because she, like me, couldn't understand why you would ask such a question.

bearden

Chinese
    I don't think I understand the situation.
    Sorry for the confusion brought.

Actually the foods/salads had been already scanned by the cashier. I just wanted to make sure my wife can take them to the cafe and ate first before I literally swiped my credit card.

Thank you.

Loob

English UK
    I think I might have said something like "is it OK if my wife takes those things away now?"

That said, I don't think the scenario as a whole would work in a UK supermarket: I have the impression that you are not supposed to eat in a supermarket café food that you've bought in the supermarket itself. But I may be wrong...:D.

bearden

Chinese
    You could ask "May I pay for the ready-to-eat foods first so that my wife can eat them in the cafe?"
    Thank you Owlman.

Actually I paid them together. I mean that I did not want to pay separately. I know it is permitted because once before a cashier told me my wife could take the hot foods away while I was checking them out (of course I don't remember what exactly she said otherwise I won't open this "stupid" thread here).

(p.s.: At that supermarket, the cashier usually asked you "Stay here or to go" if you have got any ready-to-eat foods. So they don't have to pack the foods in the bag.)

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you Owlman.

Actually I paid them together. I mean that I did not want to pay separately. I know it is permitted because once before a cashier told me my wife could take the hot foods away while I was checking them out (of course I don't remember what exactly she said otherwise I won't open this "stupid" thread here).

(p.s.: At that supermarket, the cashier usually asked you "Stay here or to go" if you have got any ready-to-eat foods. So they don't have to pack the foods in the bag.)
    Thanks for the information, Bearden.:) I think Soccer Gal and Loob have given you excellent suggestions for asking the cashier if your wife can remove certain items to eat right away.

bearden

Chinese
    I would ask the cashier to ring up the ready to eat food first and ask Could she go ahead and take this to the cafe? Go ahead, in this context means do it right now. Once the food items have been rung up or scanned, it shouldn't matter as long as the person with the money is still at the register.
    Hi Soccergal, thank you! I think you have replied my question.

Actually I asked the cashier right after those foods had been scanned. So you think "go ahead" is the right thing to say?

By the way, do I need to make it clear by saying Could she go ahead and take this to the cafe, while I am here to pay?

Thank you, I appreciate it.

soccergal

English - US
    I don't understand the situation. Or rather, I don't understand the need for any question/request.

In that context, I would simply place the foods my wife wanted first on the checkout. She could then take them away. It's possible that the cashier was confused by your request because she, like me, couldn't understand why you would ask such a question.
    Depending on the arrangement of the checkout counter, it's not always easy to reach items once they are scanned in unless the cashier hands them to you. And if there were several items, you may need the cashier to bag them for you before you take them away. I believe that Bearden just wanted to make sure it was OK. Either way, the request sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

owlman5

English-US

Actually I asked the cashier right after those foods had been scanned. So you think "go ahead" is the right thing to say?

By the way, do I need to make it clear by saying Could she go ahead and take this to the cafe, while I am here to pay?

You could even simplify this a little bit: Could she go ahead and take these while I pay for them?

bearden

Chinese
    I think I might have said something like "is it OK if my wife takes those things away now?"

That said, I don't think the scenario as a whole would work in a UK supermarket: I have the impression that you are not supposed to eat in a supermarket café food that you've bought in the supermarket itself. But I may be wrong...:D.
    Thank you Loob. So you think "take ... away" is an idiomatic expression in the context?

(p.s.: I don't know about other places in the States. In the NYC, I think is common to do that. At least it is ok in WholeFoods, MortonWilliams, etc.)

soccergal

English - US

I don't think you would need to add while I am here to pay. I imagine it would be obvious that you were going to wait for the rest of your groceries.

bearden

Chinese
    Depending on the arrangement of the checkout counter, it's not always easy to reach items once they are scanned in unless the cashier hands them to you. And if there were several items, you may need the cashier to bag them for you before you take them away. I believe that Bearden just wanted to make sure it was OK. Either way, the request sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
    soccergal, it sounds like you were nearby last night and witnessed how I had difficulty explaining my request.

Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >