<expression> tainted by society

Discussion in 'English Only' started by grimbergen, Aug 14, 2016.

1. grimbergen

grimbergen Senior Member

Korean
    Hello, members!

I am trying to find an expression that describes people who lose their innocence as they grow up or work outside school.(I don't mean that everyone does, but I'm speaking generally.) I am not saying that people become "corrupted," which is too strong, and definitely not what I mean. Maybe people become "tainted by society," which is the best option that I have come up with by far.

Can anyone offer me any suggestion, please? Thank you in advance! =)

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Can you give us the sentence in which you want to use this, grimbergen, together with, perhaps, the sentence before and the sentence after?

3. grimbergen

grimbergen Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you for the reply, Loob! =) I am trying to say something like:

While talking to kids, unlike most adults who are tainted by society, I am often deeply moved by their innocence and purity. After conversing with them, I feel as if my soul were healed.

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I can't think of any expressions, but maybe you could construct something using adjectives such as jaded/hardened/disillusioned?

Or perhaps world-weary, which doesn't really mean "tainted by society" but gives you a nice contrast with the innocence of childhood?

5. grimbergen

grimbergen Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you so much, Loob! =) All of the adjectives you've suggested definitely convey the meaning I wanted! Thank you for the big help! =)