Expressions of time

Honeyduke

England, English
I am starting to become very confused about prepositions used with expressions of time in Russian and just expressions of time in general. I know that when saying 'this year' I say в этом годy
however how do I say this evening? would I also use the preposition 'в' or is this just used to refer to a year? Does anyone have any other examples of when and why this is used, or similar phrases? Also how would one translate 'all night'. Should it be 'all of the night'? or plain 'all night' for example;
we will talk all night
Thankyou
honeyduke

• cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Honeyduke said:
    I am starting to become very confused about prepositions used with expressions of time in Russian and just expressions of time in general. I know that when saying 'this year' I say в этом годy
    however how do I say this evening? would I also use the preposition 'в' or is this just used to refer to a year? Does anyone have any other examples of when and why this is used, or similar phrases? Also how would one translate 'all night'. Should it be 'all of the night'? or plain 'all night' for example;
    we will talk all night
    Thankyou
    honeyduke
    I'm afraid there is no general rule. You use the instrumental case speaking about:

- the time of day
    this evening - сегодня вечером (этим вечером)
    this morning - сегодня утром

- the season
    in spring - весной
    this spring - этой весной

Further expressions:

this year - в этом годy (the prepositional case)
    this week - на этой неделе (also in prepositional, but with a different preposition :) )

at 5 o'clock - в пять(Akk) часов (Gen)

at 5 pm -
    в пять часов вечера(Gen)

All night would be всю ночь... is it Akkusative?.. I think so.
    (all night through - всю ночь напролёт).

I know it's confusing, but I assure you, English time expressions aren't that easy to learn either. :)

Ange

Russian
    All night could also be translated - весь вечер.
    "Night" for an English speaker only lasts until midnight, right?
    For a Russian speaker, a night is somewhere between midnight and the time when you get up in the morning.

northernmonkey

English
    ...there are also numerous other prepositions!

alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/time.html - have a look here for some hints and tips. (or for more confusion!)

chris