extend a minute

Ruzanna

Russian
Hello

I don't understand well this phrase from the meeting of the board of directors:

No other being the object of the meeting, it was adjourned and for the records this minute is extended and signed.

What do they mean by " minute is extended"?
Please explain.

• Copyright

American English
    Is this an English-speaking company? The "minutes" are a record of what went on in the meeting. But the phrasing seems odd to me, not that I'm a company secretary.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    A Web search suggests that this is archaic legal language. I don't know what it means. I suspect the people who wrote it don't, either, but it sounds good.

(In today's English, the written record of a meeting is called its "minutes," in the plural. That has been true since at least the late 1950s in my personal experience.)

Ruzanna

Russian
    So, the word "extend" does not mean anything particular here? Can I just say that minutes was signed?

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Extending the minutes : A company secretary is redrafting the minutes which he(or she) has written with his(or her) stenography.
    Signing the minutes : A company secretary is indicating that the minutes have been approved by board.

You have to extend your writing if you've written shorthand.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    No other being the object of the meeting, it was adjourned and for the records this minute is extended and signed.
    Was this sentence (1) spoken in the meeting (you heard it), or (2) written in the minutes (the archive, the written text) of the meeting?

If it is in the minutes (the written archive) then the part in italics was not spoken at the meeting. It is a comment in the minutes, about the minutes. "Extended" and "signed" have the meaning mink-shin explains in post #7.

There is another possible meaning for "extend". Some companies speak about the minutes of a recurring weekly (or monthly) meeting as one long set of minutes. After each meeting they "extend the minutes" to include the notes from this week's meeting.

Last edited:

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    There is another possible meaning for "extend". Some companies speak about the minutes of a recurring weekly (or monthly) meeting as one long set of minutes. After each meeting they "extend the minutes" to include the notes from this week's meeting.
    I've never heard of it, Thanks for sharing your knowledge, dojibear.

< Previous | Next >