extend a salute

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
"He extended a salute to his father."

Hello all, in the example sentence, does it means "he shook hands with his father"?

Thanks

"Extend" means to stretch forth or hold out, but what does it mean here?

• owlman5

English-US
    No, Silverobama. When I hear "he extended a salute to his father", I think that he signaled with his hand to his father. He may have performed a military salute, if so then he held his fingers together and placed them at an angle over his eye. He could have made some other type of salute, however.

sdgraham

USA English
    In addition to owlman's response, there's a sort of stylized (very nonmilitary) variation in which the is moved from the brow and extended toward the recipient.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hello Owl, as you said "He could have made some other type of salute", here you used "made", Like I said "extend" means to stretch forth and hold out, but military salute is the situation like you said, can we still say "extend" a salute, or maybe salute includes many forms of salute?

owlman5

English-US
    Well, Silverobama, I guess it does sound like he extended his arm while saluting to his father. SD Graham just described how that might look in his last post. It might be that the writer was just using "extended" to mean "sent" as in: He sent a salute to his father. To me, that would be saying the same as: He saluted his father.

< Previous | Next >