extend by one more week

phil_34

Is it correct to say: extend by one MORE week. Or do I have to leave out the 'more' or can I use both?

'I pick up the receiver and call Lufthansa, my airline company, and extend my holiday by one MORE week.'

• ride7359

I don't think that what RM1(SS) says is necessarily the case. I thought of that and then disregarded it as too narrow. If you have been on vacation for a week (or two or three) as planned and you are extending your vacation, I still think the "more" adds emphasis even if it is the first time you are extending it.

It may be a usage issue. Sometime the Midwest and the East Coast speak slightly different languages!

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I don't think that what RM1(SS) says is necessarily the case. I thought of that and then disregarded it as too narrow. If you have been on vacation for a week (or two or three) as planned and you are extending your vacation, I still think the "more" adds emphasis even if it is the first time you are extending it.

It may be a usage issue. Sometime the Midwest and the East Coast speak slightly different languages!
    I'm in the Midwest, and I agree with Ride7359. I see RM1(SS)'s point, but I don't think it applies in this case.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with RM1. "More" isn't right here unless you had already arranged for one extension and this is the second. (Desire has nothing to do with it; the airline isn't interested in your emotions.)

< Previous | Next >