extend the Golden Rule

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

The rabbi stared back into the faces of his students, and with a voice suddenly gentle and imploring, he responded: “When you look into the face of the person who is beside you, and you can see that person is your brother or your sister, then finally the night has ended and the day has begun.”
Hastening that heavenly day is the moral work of our generation. I don’t know where it ends, but I know where it has to start—by anchoring people in strong families and healthy communities. It is impossible to expect people to extend the Golden Rule very far if they are unmoored, unanchored, and insecure themselves.

Does extend the Golden Rule mean follow the Golden Rule.
Or does it mean spread the Golden Rule (make it know to as many people as possible)?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    it means "spread the Golden Rule (make it known to as many people as possible)" :thumbsup: (I think the rabbi could have chosen a better verb.)

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Does extend the Golden Rule mean follow the Golden Rule.
    Or does it mean spread the Golden Rule (make it know to as many people as possible)?
    In this case, it means "treat other people (who are more 'distant' from us) according to the Golden Rule." We probably treat our family and close friends that way, but many people would not extend such treatment to acquaintances or even strangers.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I agree with Glenfarclas. It's about widening the scope of the rule, not about spreading it, although the latter will probably follow the former in the fullness of time.

< Previous | Next >