extended defintion

erickhr85

usa english
please i need help with an extended defintion of one of the following terms: rose, joke, canoe, loveseat or guitar....I really apreciate your help, this is my final paragraph from my EL 103 class (english as a second language) and i dont know much about it.....pleeeeeeaaaaase help meee...

• B. Davis

US English
    Hi Erickhr85,

A rose is a kind of flower.
    A joke is a humorous story.
    A canoe is a narrow boat that holds 2 or 3 people.
    A loveseat is a piece of furniture like a couch for two people.
    A guitar is a musical instrument with 6 or 12 strings that you hold in your hands.

Keep practicing.

Bruce

erickhr85

usa english
    Thank you David, but what i need is an extended definition of one of those terms, a extended definition is a paragraph of about 120 to 150 words....pleaseeee somebody help me with theseeee, i need this paragraph for tomorrow Feb 4th....

B. Davis

US English
    Roses are flowers. They grow from a rosebush, and depending on variety, can bloom in a variety of colors. Roses can have white, red, pink, or yellow blooms, just to name a few. Red roses are the traditional symbol of love, and are given to lovers on St. Valentine's day in the US and other countries where it is celebrated. Yellow roses symbolize friendship, and are often exchanged between young women. All roses have a bloom at the end of a stem which is covered with thorns. The thorns are very sharp and are often removed before the rose is given as a gift. The leaves of the rose are green in color and oblong in shape with a finely serrated edge. Roses have a wonderful aroma that is fresh and clean, like a cool outdoor stream. Roses are kept cold after being cut to preserve the freshness.

erickhr85

usa english
    Im sorry Bruce, I was so exited that I just realized that...Hey do you mind telling me where did you find that definition please, im going to need more definitions like that one in coming assigments...thanks.

B. Davis

US English
    erickhr85 said:
    Im sorry Bruce, I was so exited that I just realized that...Hey do you mind telling me where did you find that definition please, im going to need more definitions like that one in coming assigments...thanks.
    Hi erickhr85,

I just wrote it based on what I know. I suppose a good resource would be the internet, or an encyclopaedia. Even a dictionary would be a good start.

Bruce

erickhr85

usa english
    Hey Bruce, I think there is a little mistake when you say "Yellow roses symbolize friendship, and are often exchanged betweenyou’re young women." There in "betweenyou're young women" its a mistake but I cant fix it because I dont know what were you trying to say. This is the last time Im going to boder you..THANK YOU!!!

B. Davis

US English
    Hello,

I fixed the error. The word "you're" didn't belong in there. It should just say "between young women." My meaning was that if two young women were friends, like classmates at college, one might give the other a yellow rose to acknowledge a favor or to show her affection.

Bruce

B. Davis

US English
    erickhr85 said:
    I fixed the post, removed the word "you're".

Bruce

< Previous | Next >